Pass-a-Grille is a neighborhood at the southern end of St. Pete Beach in Pinellas County, Florida. The community includes the Pass-a-Grille Historic District, Gulf Beaches Historical Museum, and Pass-A-Grille Beach. The small beach town includes restaurants, retailers, and waterfront areas on the Gulf of Mexico as well as the intercoastal waterway. It is located on a barrier island.
The area around Pass-a-Grille has been inhabited by Native Americans for thousands of years and was first spotted by Spanish explorers in 1528 when Pánfilo de Narváez anchored off Pass-a-Grille pass. Local legend states that it was named from the French phrase Passe Aux Grilleurs (the passageway of the grillers) in honor of the fisherman who used to camp there. John Gomez was one on the first entrepreneurs to utilize Pass-A-Grille Beach as a vacation area, inviting travelers from St. Petersburg and Tampa to stay at his resort-like structure as early as 1857. Some of the first major businessmen in the area were Roy S. Hanna and Selwyn Morey, who began developing plots of land for homes and lodgings at Pass-A-Grille Beach. By 1901, Frenchman and Travel Agent, George Henri Lizotte, opened the first Pass-A-Grille hotel, named Bonhomie. The first schoolhouse in Pass-a-Grille was constructed in 1914 at the cost of $1,000 and opened its doors to students in the winter of 1915. Pass-a-Grille was eventually incorporated into the city of St. Pete Beach in 1957, and in 1989 Pass-a-Grille was recognized as a National Register Historic District. Wiki
Pass-a-grille is a coastal city in Pinellas County, Florida, United States, famous for its status as a tourist destination. St. Pete Beach was formed from the towns of Pass-a-Grille, Belle Vista, St. Petersburg Beach and unincorporated Pinellas County. At the time of its incorporation in 1957, its name was St. Petersburg Beach. On March 9, 1994, locals voted to officially change the name to the shorter version of St. Pete Beach, to distinguish it from the city of St. Petersburg a few miles to the east. The population was 9,346 at the 2010 census.